Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Covered Notebook

Normally when inspiration hits or I come across a new project to try, I find myself scrambling for a scrap piece of paper... card stock, an envelope... maybe even an old receipt.

So I picked up a little spiral bound notebook to jot down my thoughts and keep all my blog related ideas in one place.

Now this may sound a little strange, but instead of writing in it...
I've been staring at it.  It's your average, everyday, blah looking notebook.
Shouldn't a book that's supposed to contain my inspiration look a little bit more... well... inspirational?

So I've been studying it and trying to figure out how to make it look better.  I've tried a few things, but that spiral binding kept getting in the way and foiling my ideas.

Finally, I've come up with a soloution that I'm happy with and it was actually quite simple to do.



Here's the how to...

Banish that evil spiral! {at least for now}
Carefully remove the spiral binding by unhooking the ends and untwisting it from the pages.



Separate the elements.
Set aside the spiral and the pages for later.  We'll be dealing with the front and back covers.



What inspires you?
Choose a favourite paper... or even fabric... and cut it to fit the covers about an inch larger on all sides.  {I chose the Vintage Tea Dyed Paper that I created earlier this week.}
Glue down the cover and crease the edges.



Glue it.
Glue down the side panels.



Cut & paste.
Clip the corners of the top and bottom panels and glue down.



Let your light shine.
Hold up to a window or light box and pencil in where the holes are.



Punch it.
A standard hole punch goes through those penciled in circles.



Give it a Glaze.
A nice coat of Mod Podge gives the covers some added durability.
{If you're using fabric, there is a fabric version of Mod Podge available.}



Reassemble.
Put your notebook back together.  Line up the covers and pages and welcome back the spiral by twisting through the holes and re-hook the ends.



So much nicer than the ordinary cover!  I even made a few fabric flowers to embellish it even more, but I decided that I liked it without them.  What would you use to cover your notebook?




This morning, as I was writing up this post, I couldn't help but snap a few pictures of Oliver.  He was following his pal Roxy all around the house.



And I just love his reaction when we ask him, "Oliver, can you pet your puppy dog?"



Thanks for stopping by.

20 comments:

  1. Andrea - I know what you are talking about - I have a little black cheapo spiral bound (at the top) that just says UGH to me. Never ever thought about taking it apart and reassembling! That is so creative! This would make a great gift. Somewhere I saw a post asking for great teacher gift ideas. This would certainly be one! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No billionaire has ever earned a real salary for him, think about it, this is your chance to become what you want to be in life by joining the great Illuminati society and acquiring the power of wealth and fame.
      Sign up today, call / WhatsApp number
      +2348140033827
      Note distance is not a Barrier.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I love the paper you used on yours. I keep a spiral notebook in my bag, too. I'm definitely going to have to pretty it up some. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! May be worth thinking about selling them on etsy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted this! I have some old books that I've been wanting to cover (but no ideas came to mind)...now I know what to do! Thanks!
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I might see what artwork my children would like to superimpose on that gorgeous tea-dyed paper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your spiral notebook turned out. You did an awesome job on it! I don't know if I would have the patience to take out the spiral part and then put it back in, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nut-uh! Where were you when i was trying to figure out how to make my own planner without having to sit thru a binder making class?!!! This is ADORABLE! I ended up buying a blank "recycled" style notebook at Target and scrapbooking the front (which is now starting to all come off). I really loved it... until I saw yours! LOL! Another project for the list!! GREAT tutorial. I had no clue I could take those spirals out so easily!! You've opened up a whole new world for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I am going to have to make this for my boy who loves the old looking paper stuff! Thanks for the tutorial on it!

    I would love to have you come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party. http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, I referenced this in my post about todays PreK Project. Still writing how today went for us- totally thought of you when I had a "lightbulb" moment ;) I love your comments- thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple, yet makes such a statement. This is a notebook I'd be proud to whip out in a coffee shop and jot my new idea for a best selling novel...or a note to remember to pick up the drycleaning ;)

    Thanks for the follow, I'm def following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your son is so cute. :) Now your ready for some note/idea taking! Now I want to cover up all my boring notepads. :)

    Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! I keep meaning to make a little book to jot down all the funny comments my kids make. Maybe this will give me a boost! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a sucker for a good notebook, and I've been in the market for a new journal. I love spiral bound notebooks because they lay flat but I hate the boring cover, I never thought to try removing the spiral to glam up the cover!!! Be honest how much of a painwas it to get it all back together, LOL.

    Surely I have a blank spiral journal around here somewhere and Lord knows I have enough scrapbooking paper to keep me crafting for a year even after the Zombie Appocolypse finally comes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow what a good idea! I had never thought to do that. I love notebooks and journals. i really may have to give this a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Your projects are super cute. I'm following you now. :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super idea, thanks for sharing....Cutest baby pics ever...you must be so proud, he is absolutely adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm here to testify about what DR. OYAGU did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 2 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Shayla Bosschart on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OYAGU on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. OYAGU prepared and sent me Healing Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. OYAGU assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. OYAGU for help via email} oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome whatsapp him through his mobile} +2348101755322. , Thanks once again DR. OYAGU for making me a happy woman again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.