Monday, January 16, 2012

Word of the Year

This year, many people are choosing a "Word of the Year" instead of making a new year's resolution.  The goal is to "choose one word has the potential to inspire you and create intention in your life, all year long." (Layla Palmer. "Word of the Year". The Lettered Cottage. January 6, 2012).

The word that I have chosen for 2012 is spark.






I wanted to find a word that conveys energy and movement as well as a positive and upbeat tone.  After much thought and a few contenders, the word spark came to mind.  I instantly knew that it was the perfect fit for me this year.

A spark can be defined as "anything that activates or stimulates" and is an "inspiration or catalyst." It is "a small amount or trace of something... a trace of life or vitality." (Dictionary.com)

This year, I hope to listen to more of the little sparks of inspiration and creativity that I don't always find the time or motivation to turn into reality.  I'll be reminded to pay attention to the little spark of an idea for a drawing, a fun project or an activity that I would normally let fizzle out.

The word spark will remind me to add a little bit of energy and enthusiasm throughout my daily routine.  I'll be encouraged to spark up a smile (even when I really don't feel like it) and to be cheerful with the loved ones in my life.  And perhaps even this usually shy gal will be inspired to spark up a conversation with someone new.

For me, the word spark is full of liveliness and strong spirit, which I aspire to having more of in my life this year.  While training to run a 10k in the coming months, spark will be a great word to focus on when the going gets tough.  In both running and everyday life, during those moments of self doubt, I will rely on that last little spark of determination to get me through.

Inspiration.  Life.  Vitality.  Although it may be small, a spark is all it takes to get a fire going.


What word would you choose?


Thanks for stopping by.


The Lettered Cottage

5 comments:

  1. In danish spark(e) means to kick.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spark's a great word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vibrancy behind your word choice. Blessings and may sparks fly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your word! Following you from Layla's party-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an enthusiastic work, energy. Thank you so much for sharing. My very first visit here I will follow on my way out so I know my path back here. Perhaps you will find the time to come visit me soon and do the same. I look forward to engaging more throughout the year and beyond. Take care. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.